Dig into Reading!
2013 Summer Reading Club
Click here to register for the 2013 Summer Reading Club
2013 Summer Reading Club FAQ’s
- What are the dates for the reading club? Registration starts June 10. You can begin “logging” reading right away. Last date to sign up is August 10 and the last date to log your time is August 24.
- What are the age limits for the reading club? Children from age 3 through 12 (entering grade 7 in September) may participate.
- How can children who can’t yet read participate? By having stories read to them. Even children who are independent readers may count stories that are read to them. (Audio books also count!)
- When does the club have meetings? The summer reading club is a club without meetings. Children are welcome to attend our summer programs whether they are club members or not. Club members do not have to be at the library at special times. It’s an “on your own” reading program
- How do I register for the club? Children register on-line from home or at the library at www.miltonlibrary.org. Look for the Summer Reading Club link on the Children’s Room page and follow the directions there. Each child will need to select a user name and password as part of the registration process. Be sure to remember yours. (The Library can help if you forget, though.)
- Why does the library need a phone number or e-mail address? Club members are eligible for special prize drawings during the program. We need to contact children whose names are drawn. An e-mail address also lets us send reminders of special events and of approaching deadlines. Contact information is never shared and is only used for library business.
- How do I keep a record of my reading? For our reading club we are keeping track of the number of minutes everyone spends reading with our goal being to earn a donation to the Heifer International. We will have a Time Reading log available in the Children’s Room, and another on our Summer Reading web page. Milton public school students will receive a traditional reading log with their summer reading packets from the school. This is for listing the titles that are read. You will want to keep track of your time as well.
- How do I report my reading time? Once you are signed up for the reading club, you can return to your summer reading page and report your reading minutes there. You can also list your titles there, and write a short comment about any of the books you read, if you want.
- What should I read? You may read whatever you want! The choice is yours – stories, information books, magazines, graphic novels, audiobooks, whatever. Books that you read from school lists can also be counted. You can also submit short book reviews through your club page.
- How do I contact the library? Call the Children’s Room at 617-898-4957. Our summer hours are Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday 9am to 9pm, Thursday 1pm to 9pm, Friday 9am to 5:30pm, and Saturday 9am to 5pm.