2015 Summer Reading Challenge
Click here to register or log in to your Reading Records
- What is the Summer Reading Challenge? It’s an on-your-own, do-it-anywhere, totally FREE reading program for kids from preschool through entering grade 6 in September. Participants read any books they want, track how many minutes they read, and enter their minutes read on our website. This year’s theme is Every Hero Has a Story: think superheroes in all shapes and sizes!
- When does the Challenge start and end? Registration starts June 8. Once registered, readers can begin logging minutes right away. The last date to sign up is August 15 and the last date to log your time is August 31. Need help logging minutes? Just call the Children’s Room at 617-898-4957.
- How can children who can’t yet read participate? By having stories read to them. Even children who are independent readers may count stories that are read to them. (Audio books also count!)
- Why does the library need a phone number & e-mail address? Summer Reading Challenge participants are eligible for special prize drawings during the program. If you win, we need to let you know! An e-mail address also lets us send reminders of special events and of approaching deadlines. Contact information is never shared.
- How many minutes should I read? As many as you want! We recommend that every child try to read a minimum of 300 minutes over the summer (that’s only 30 minutes a week!). Also, Milton kids will work together to achieve a town-wide goal of 150,000 minutes read this summer. If we reach our goal, the Milton Rotary will make a donation on our behalf to the Jimmy Fund, supporting kid superheroes in the fight for their lives.
- What should I read? You may read anything you like, from anywhere you like! The choice is yours – stories, nonfiction, magazines, graphic novels, audiobooks, whatever. The library will have displays of great books to read, and there are links to some suggestions at the bottom of this page, too. When you log minutes, you can also write reviews of the books you read. Maybe another reader will have a great recommendation for you…
- Who makes all of this super fun stuff possible? The Massachusetts Summer Library Program is sponsored by your local library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. Local sponsors for our program are the Friends of the Milton Public Library and the Milton Rotary.
- Sounds awesome! How do I sign up? Just click on the link at the top of the page and follow the directions! Each child will need to select a username and pass word as part of the registration process. Be sure to remember yours - the Library can help you if you forget, though :) You will receive a confirmation email which will contain a link to your summer reading page.
- I've still got more questions. How do I contact the library? Call the Children’s Room at 617-898-4957. Our summer hours are Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday 9am to 9pm, Thursday 1pm to 9pm, Friday 9am to 5:30pm, and Saturday 9am to 5pm.
We can’t wait to see you at the library this summer!
Love, Miss Sara and the staff of the Milton Public Library
Summer Reading Suggestions
Children's Reading Choices 2015
Summer Reading for Grades K-2 , 2015
Summer Reading for Grades 3-5, 2015
Summertime Favorites from the National Endowment for the Humanities
2015 Summer Reading Booklists from Scholastic